Q4 is well under-way, and it’s time to start thinking about all those end-of-the-year tasks that will set you up for a great start in 2024! We know this process can feel daunting, so we put together this Tempus Resource year-end checklist to make life easier.
From updating resources to verifying open projects, these quick actions will help you hit the ground running in the new year. Let’s dive in!
1. Project and Assignments: A Quick Review
Double-checking your projects and assignments will make the transition to 2024 much smoother:
- Verify Project End Dates: Ensure these are accurate. If a project is running longer than anticipated, modify the end date to keep your data up-to-date.
- Adjust Assignment Dates: Similar to projects, ensure assignment end dates reflect the reality of your operations. Use the Flatgrid or Single Project Allocation grid to extend both named resources and generic resources, if needed.
- Milestones Matter: Quickly review project milestones to ensure they’re set up for success in the new year.
- Accuracy is Key: Take a moment to validate the information or attributes related to your projects. Is everything current or should some adjustments be made?
2. Resources: Keep Them Refined and Updated
Your resources are the backbone of your operations. Make sure they’re perfectly aligned:
- Update Resource Capacity: Confirm that the capacity for all active resources is extended through 2024. Learn how to update resource capacity with this Tempus University video:
- Deactivate Outdated Resources: If certain resources are no longer part of your organization, deactivate them. For guidance, check out this video tutorial:
- Review Pending Requests: Got any pending resource requests? Now’s the time to go over them and clear up the queue.
- Freshen Up Resource Information: Has there been an organizational reshuffle? Did someone get a promotion? Are there new roles? Review and update resource attributes as required.
3. Tidy Up Those Timesheets
Before you turn over the calendar to 2024, ensure your Tempus timesheets are up to date and ready for Q1:
- Set Up 2024 Timesheet Periods: Get ahead and create all your timesheet periods for the coming year.
- Check Project End Dates & Allocations: If certain projects will be running into the new year, whether they were planned that way or deadlines have been pushed, remember to extend their end dates and allocations accordingly.
4. Reports: Ensure They’re Relevant & Accessible
Your reports should be primed for the year ahead:
- Update Report Date Filters: Set filters to 2024 where necessary. Also, consider if you need to create any new reports to use in the new year.
- Review Report Access: Ensure that team members have the appropriate access to reports. If roles have changed or will be changing in Q1, permissions might need adjusting.
5. Review New Functionality
Have you upgraded to the most current version of Tempus? If not, schedule your upgrade today to access all the new features delivered as well as enhancements to features you already use! There are so many updates that can help you become even more productive in 2024, including:
- The Net Availability grid in Resource Management
- AI Resource Recommendations available in resource replace and request screens
- Scribe communication in projects and resource request screens
- MS Teams notifications for project updates, Scribe mentions, resource requests, and Timesheets
- Project and Portfolio Roadmaps
- Tempus What-If 2.0
- Public views in Project and Resource Management lists as well as the Bulk Project Allocation Flatgrid
- Language settings that can be managed Tempus-wide and at the personal level
Figuring out everything you need to do to transition your business into the new year can feel overwhelming. We’ve all been there. But with this checklist in hand, you can at least have the peace-of-mind of knowing your resource management platform is ready for 2024!
Here’s to organized planning and even more efficient execution. Cheers to a prosperous new year!