Digital transformation is the name of the game for organizations that want to stay competitive, improve productivity, and deliver quality products and/or services to their customers. This is true of all industries – including the construction industry.
In this post, we will look at:
- The future of technology in the construction industry
- How state-of-the-art construction project management software can drive your business forward in the digital age
The future of the construction industry
There are a host of technologies that will be available to construction companies soon, including:
- Autonomous vehicles – artificial intelligence (AI) is soon to be everywhere, including on the construction site. Driverless bulldozers and cranes can provide greater safety by reducing on-site accidents and injuries. A lot of accidents occur due to human error, when workers lose their focus during monotonous work, for instance. AI-powered vehicles won’t have this problem; and the workers can be put to use on higher value tasks, increasing productivity and output.
- Virtual reality – virtual reality offers the possibility to show engineers, architects, and construction managers first-hand what their buildings will look like when projects are completed. This allows them to carry out provisional planning and assessment for future development stages as if they were actually there in the fully realised building.
- Augmented reality – augmented reality headsets will allow you to add a layer of digital enhancement (such as information about equipment, site design and specifications, or communication from colleagues and safety updates) as a visual overlay in a physical space.
- Drones – drones will soon be a useful tool on construction sites and will have a wide range of uses. Drones can be used to survey large areas of land in no time at all, reach areas that would otherwise be difficult or dangerous to reach, and efficiently deliver equipment and resources to those who need them.
- Wearable technology – there’s a lot of potentials when it comes to wearable technology (especially in terms of health and safety). By tracking workers’ movements on site using wearable tech, safety operators can be alerted when someone has had an accident, and workers can be alerted about potential safety risks as and when they enter hazardous areas.
As the worlds of science fiction and construction collide, it can be easy to get a little carried away – especially since many of these technologies are still in the early stages of development. And, although it’s always a good thing to innovate and push the boundaries of the industry, it may be too costly to take the risk of investing in this new technology today. Without a clear vision and tangible roadmap for how these future technologies can be deployed, the return on investment remains murky.
When it comes to digital transformation, you want to invest in technology you can trust to drive results quickly and to produce a high return on investment (ROI). Purchasing a fleet of drones might sound exciting, but is it something that will improve your business processes today?
A revolution in construction project management
There are several key challenges facing the construction industry, including:
- Low productivity
- Poor profitability
- Project complexity
- Project performance
- A shortage of skilled labour
The radical response to these challenges does not necessarily involve these new technologies, which could potentially be a big risk for some organizations. Instead, huge advantages can come from better project management and better resource management. To drive digital transformation at your organization, you need to get to the heart of what’s driving down productivity – and that’s your projects and how resources are allocated. The power is in your people. If you can better utilize your resources, you can drive your business forward. What is needed is state-of-the-art resource management software, like Tempus Resource.
Many companies in the construction industry are still using Excel for resource management, which is unwieldy and slow. It can be a real challenge to find the resource data you need using Excel, which, when things go wrong, will slow down the time it takes to respond. Tempus Resource is far more powerful, efficient and easy-to-use.
Tempus Resource provides advanced reporting and full resource visibility, so that decisions around resource allocation are informed and always based on up-to-the-minute information. Resources can be moved around in real-time, allowing resource managers to respond to unexpected changes. Sophisticated modelling and ‘what-if’ analysis allow you to test and predict future outcomes in a risk-free environment.
With Tempus Resource, you get:
- An easy-to-use cloud-based platform
- A highly flexible tool
- The ability to add and import data seamlessly
- Sophisticated modelling and forecasting
- Powerful ‘what if’ analysis
- Real-time reporting
When it comes to driving productivity in the construction industry, you don’t have to look far in the future. Tempus resource is available today!
To find out more about how Tempus Resource can drive digital transformation forward at your organization and revolutionize construction project management, get in contact with us at ProSymmetry today.